Warning: Creating default object from empty value in /homepages/45/d119647052/htdocs/bmw7resource/mkportal/include/SMF/smf_out.php on line 48
E32 lighting fault

gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length

gfx gfx
gfxgfx

gfx gfx
gfx
17777 Posts in 2852 Topics by 17 Members - Latest Member: rustycar76 May 27, 2017, 03:20:16 AM
gfx*HomeHelpLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: E32 lighting fault  (Read 8334 times)
vee twelve
« on: October 30, 2005, 06:46:51 PM »

Hi all,

Hope someone can help with this....
I've recently bought a 1990 750i - absolute beaut, BUT - have an intermittent lighting fault. Let me explain:
Nearside front sidelight and nearside rear tail-light choose to go off simultaneously for no apparent reason. Sometimes they're fine, othertimes just go off mid-journey; fault shows up on the dash, I check that the lights have gone off (and they have!), but often they've come back on by the end of the journey and the fault's still showing on the dash...
Have checked/cleaned/changed the fuse (appears to be one fuse for nearside parking lights); checked bulb connections and changed bulbs. No difference.

Any ideas please??

Cheers, Alan
shogun
Japan

BMW Model:
E32 750iL

Highline collector

« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2005, 07:05:35 PM »

Lesson # 1 when you own an old E32:
To save a lot of money, buy a good soldering iron and start practicing. On my website below there is a good info about soldering and desolderinge electronics.
Then remove your LKM and the socalled mustard relay, resolder and be happy with your new and steady light  Grin
http://www.bmwe34.net/e34main/maintenance/electrical/LKM.htm

SHOGUN'S TRICKS AND TIPS FOR THE SEVEN SERIES
 http://twrite.org/shogunnew/topmenu.html
Insp Gadget
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2005, 10:32:48 PM »

Welcome to the site and glad you are happy with your purchase.

Yep Mustard relay and LKM are the usual suspects and it is a very common problem with these cars, as well as Erich's site do a search and a few explinations and where the offending articles reside will be apparent.
vee twelve
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2005, 10:38:51 PM »

Thanks for the useful recommendations.

My soldering iron will be put to use tomorrow evening - I'll keep you posted on developments.

And another query (which may have a similar cause?) - the heater fan too has an intermittent fault - sometimes it works, sometimes not? Is this  known problem - if so, what's the cure?

Cheers, Alan
Insp Gadget
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2005, 10:40:53 PM »

The problem is most likely to be the sword which controls the fan speeds, if you have a look at the E32 FAQ's most of the common problems are already posted.
AllGoNShow
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2005, 10:55:38 PM »

For the lights, try the Mustard Relay first, I did it at like 12 at night, took me 20 mins to do the soldering, longer to get the damn thing out using a cell phone, just use a real light. but yah, mustard relay is easier to fix, and seems to be the more common culprite, if you have too, fix the LKM aswell but try Mustard first.
vee twelve
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2005, 10:59:06 PM »

OK. Mustard first, then!

FAQ's are interesting stuff. Good to see there's some clued-up guys out there - newbies like me appreciate your knowledge.

However, first things first.....

I'll be back!

Alan
paul.o
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2005, 11:11:09 PM »

Depending on the year some don't have the musturd relay as such. The relay housing is there but in side there is no circuit just a link out pcb. The later cars incorperated the function of the musturd relay into the lkm module. Mine is a 1989 and has no musturd relay.
Insp Gadget
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2005, 11:21:24 PM »

Mine is 90 & 91 and they both have the mustard relay ?
vee twelve
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2005, 11:23:00 PM »

Just removed the mustard relay, and thankfully it's identical (in contents and Part No.) to the one detailed in Shogun's website link above [see the initial response to my query]

I can also see at least 12 dry joints, so soldering iron is poised and ready for action - tomorrow!

Thanks again guys.

Alan
Insp Gadget
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2005, 11:25:07 PM »

looking forward to a positive report.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2005, 01:26:55 AM by Insp Gadget » Logged
AllGoNShow
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2005, 01:13:27 AM »

If you don't want to fix it but are interested if that is the problem. Get a magnifing glas and check the solder caps, if they are cracked then thats your problem.
vee twelve
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2005, 07:49:21 PM »

Wahay! Let there be light....

Ten careful minutes with a soldering iron, then relay reassembled and plugged in, fingers crossed....... and it all works. 20 minute and all appears to be fine.

Many thanks to all who gave the perfect advice - much appreciated.

And now for the sword! Is it easy to locate, remove and repair? Not too obvious in the FAQ's.

Cheers, Alan
orange
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2005, 07:58:43 PM »

http://www.bmw7resource.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=100.0

Did you look here?
vee twelve
« Reply #14 on: October 31, 2005, 08:16:36 PM »

Yes, ta. 
I guess it's pretty clear once you're hanging upside down in the footwell with a copy of the photo in one hand and a screwdriver in the other....
A job for a dry day in daylight.
Cheers.
Insp Gadget
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2005, 08:24:19 PM »

I guess it's pretty clear once you're hanging upside down in the footwell with a copy of the photo in one hand and a screwdriver in the other....

Sums the job up just about perfectly  laugh laugh

It's not as hard as it looks but is very fiddily. The drivers side lower dash panel needs to be removed etc. If your used to it it takes about 20-30 min tops. Glad you got sorted with your lighting, it makes the forum feel worthwhile when members are helped as a result.
orange
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2005, 08:29:05 PM »

This may help as well but bear in mind that there is less room because we have right hand drive cars and this shows a left hand drive and not all cars have the microfilter.

http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/54597
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx